Mobile Device Management Overview
Mobile Device Management (MDM) is the term used to describe a system or solution for managing mobile devices remotely. These mobile devices include laptop computers, smart phones, ruggedized mobile data collection devices and tablet computers.
Given technology and the increasing need for mobility, enterprises like yours need to operate efficiently outside of the four walls of a specific business location. You need to interact directly with your customers and employees whenever and wherever they are.
Mobility provides increased efficiencies and productivity. Your business gains a competitive advantage by having access to information and applications necessary to act quickly. Managing the related mobile devices allows you to protect and optimize your operation.
Leading mobile device operating systems include Blackberry, Android, iOS, Windows Mobile and Symbian.
Mobile device management solutions will typically provide some or all of the following remote capabilities:
- Distribution of software updates and patches
- Tracking of hardware and software assets
- Distribution of information and data
- Tracking software for license compliance.
- Supporting and controlling devices to troubleshoot issues
- Backing-up and restoring critical data.
- Encrypting wireless communications.
- Disabling stolen/lost devices
- Managing passwords/access security